Saturday, March 14, 2009

Quilt Mania

I have a single bed quilt that my mum made for me when I was little and I still like to sleep under it on hot nights, but thats not very cozy when there are two of you in the bed. So I decided to do a major sleeping arrangement upgrade and embark on a queen size quilt. Being a relative novice I decided on a "nine patch disappearing quilt". This is where you sew a nine patch square, cut it in half both directions, re-arrange the four resulting pieces and re-sew them together. It looks like you have elaborately cut a lot of different size squares and arranged them intricately together, but you haven't. I like a good short cut.

This took 81 original squares, sewed into 9 sets of 9 and all cut and re-arranged before sewing together for the final product. Took a couple of weeks, and a lot of running between the sewing machine and the ironing board before it was done. I backed it with white waffle cotton.

My pièce de résistance so far!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin