Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Baby tutu fru-fru


I have a friend, she has a baby girl and they're both mad about tutus.  I feel really honoured to have been asked to make some baby tiny tutu skirts.  Even better the request included a "no pink" clause - in case you hadn't guessed, I'm not much a lover of pink myself.  Even though I welcomed the chance to sew with tulle, a new fabric for me, I could not quite imagine myself actually buying pink tulle, that would be pushing my sewing limits.

So, I discovered a few rules about tulle - best to be cut with a rotary cutter for straight edges, it tends to stick to itself a bit which is slightly frustrating so you have to have a good dose of patience to start with, and it's a little bit like sewing air, but you soon get used to it.

I made up my own pattern for these skirts using the measurements of my friend's baby for sizing.  The lining is poplin and I found three layers of tulle lightly gathered together gave a good volume to the skirt.

I have just finished making a green spot tutu with white layers and mint lining...


...with a touch of a doily under it all.  Subtle and cute I think.


It's gone to join it's friends: a pale blue spot tutu with blue layers and silver trim,


and a yellow star tutu with apricot layers and yellow lining.


I tell you, I'm loving the appreciation photos my friend is sending me of her tutu wearing girl.  So sweet!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin