Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Get out your hammer


The arrival of a new baby of course requires suitable baby gifts, there really is no better excuse for a bit of making, is there?

Today I thought I was going to get nowhere, I kept starting things and then walking away to do other meaningless, fiddly tasks. So, two bibs took me basically all day to make.

I up-cycled (trying that word for the first time...) a blue hand towel purchased from the charity shop for $2 as the backing fabric and made two spaceship themed bibs. I just modelled the shape on a store bought bib I had.

Then the fastener - velcro? ties? snaps? I have had a packet of snaps in the cupboard for some months, bought them for a project I never finished (I think I was afraid of the snaps), so I took the bibs, the trusty hammer and the snaps packet out to the back deck. After working out which bit went with what, how to use the little snappy tool thingy and aiming true with the hammer the bibs were done!

I should craft with a hammer more often!

There will be a monkey toy to go with this gift, sadly no hammer required.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look great well done!!

Chicuff by Daneve
http://chicuff.blogspot.com/

CurlyPops said...

I love a bit of hammer craft!
Those bibs are seriously cute.

Cat said...

You did a great job with those bibs they are sooo cute. The fabric is great.:)

Marina said...

I've been meaning to try some snap closures as well and when the instructions said to use a "domestic hammer" I wasn't sure how big they were meaning! Looks like your hammer is the same as mine, so I'll give it a go!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin