Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Alphabet Tuesday: X is for Xylophone



Have you ever seen an alphabet chart without a xylophone representing the letter X?  Its a bit of a pet hate of mine because the spelling of the word is hard and the sound of the X is really more a Z.

So I wondered today if there was a good alternative.  I looked up X in my pocket dictionary, there were about 25 entries in the X section (none of them X rated).  There were other X things - xenon, x chromosome, x axis, xerox, xylem, X-ray, even Xmas - so no, all very scientific.  I had to concede that xylophone is the most recognisable for children.

X doesn't really mark the spot, does it?

2 comments:

yardage girl said...

I'm with you on X - it's a tricky one to teach little ones too. Can't believe we're so close to the end of the alphabet ... Nic

Little Ted Canvas said...

Ooooh, nearly there now!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin